Well there is not doubt that a lot of faster web browsers are available these days. Though using browser is always a bit personal. Some people prefers Mozila Firefox, some people likes google chrome etc etc.. And one of them is Opera web browser which comes with some of the good inbuilt plugins. Opera web browser is said to be slower but when tested against the Mozilla Firefox (default for ubuntu systems), difference is of milliseconds. Beside that differences there are some other reasons to use the Opera over the other browsers which are following:
- It's built in ad blocker is faster then external plugins you may have to use with other web browsers.
- Chrome extensions can be used on opera as both are built on Webkit engine.
- Battery saving mode of the opera - One among the many I like a lot.
- Availability of fast and reliable VPN for many countries
- Supports fast video loading over the slower internet connections (advantage over other web browsers).
Installation Opera through the command line
Open the terminal and add Opera keyring.
$ wget -qO- https://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
Add the Opera repository from the official Opera website.
$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb [arch=i386,amd64] https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free"
After adding the opera repository you can install opera using apt install command of ubuntu
$ sudo apt install opera-stable
You will be asked to enter y or n for installation. So, enter 'y'.
If the following message appears on ubuntu you can press enter to upgrade the opera as a part of your regular update of system.
Congratulations, You can now access Opera through the Terminal by entering the command given below or can open it from the app manager.